Sweet potatoes are a favorite of mine. I think I have expressed that several times by now. These fries are no exception. I love how they are slightly crisp with a soft texture inside. I could eat handfuls of these. Oh wait, I usually do! These are fries without the guilt. They are baked instead of fried, which is always a healthier option. And sweet potatoes are crazy good for you. These make a great side dish to burgers, or occasionally I’ll make them for finger food for our movie night. Delicious!
Recipe from Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics, by Ina Garten
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Have ready a non-stick baking sheet.
- Halve the sweet potatoes lengthwise and cut each half into 3-5 long spears. Place them on the baking sheet and toss with the olive oil. Spread the sweet potatoes into one layer.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, salt and pepper. Sprinkle evenly over the potatoes.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn with a spatula. Bake for 5-10 minutes more, until lightly browned. Sprinkle lightly with salt and serve hot.