Photos updated May 2017
I have a confession to make. I had never heard of bok choy until recently. I always mindlessly passed it by in the produce section of the grocery store, naively thinking it was just a different type of lettuce. Boy, was I wrong!
After seeing this recent recipe on one of my favorite blog sites, I had to try it! This recipe gets tons of healthy, great tasting ingredients all into one salad! My son gobbled down his first bowl and immediately wanted more.
I am very pleased to add this recipe to my favorites. It would be perfect to wip up in the middle of a hot summer day when you don’t really feel like cooking, or turning on the oven. I prefer to eat this salad warm, but it is great at any temperature.
Recipe adapted from Annie’s Eats
Bok Choy Brown Rice Salad with Orange Sesame Dressing
This salad is packed full of healthy, filling ingredients. Bok choy, fresh veggies, brown rice, peanuts and a zingy dressing- this will be your go-to lunch.
For the salad
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 3 baby bok choy, rinsed, trimmed and thinly sliced (I didn't have baby bok choy, so I used 4 stems instead)
- 1 cup peas, frozen and thawed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, or 3 Tablespoons dried
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
For the dressing
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 4 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the salad, combine the brown rice, shredded carrots, bok choy, peas, cilantro, scallions, sesame seeds and peanuts in a large bowl. Toss gently to combine.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a bowl or measuring cup. Whisk well until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Add the dressing to the bowl with the salad, a little at a time, tossing gently to coat. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.