Chicken is my preferred choice of meat. I would eat it all the time if I could. I love how versatile the flavors can be. The choices are endless! And you can put chicken it nearly everything. It’s truly wonderful. But, we are limited on how much chicken we can really eat, because we buy organic chickens from a local farm in the summer. So, that means, we have to make about a dozen chickens last for an entire year. Yes, that means all the cuts of the chicken, but the breasts are my favorite. I am a white meat fan, whereas my husband and oldest daughter are bone chewers. Ugh. Despite the meat color differences, we make it work. Ha!
These chicken fajitas need to be on your weekly meal plan asap. They are classic with a side of unusual. I love the chicken and onions being sautéd together, but the cabbage slaw is what really makes it. Fresh and crisp with the depth of spices the chicken and onions are rubbed with. Perfection. This makes a great healthy dinner that isn’t heavy or too carb-laden.
Recipe adapted from Healthy Dish of the Day
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil, plus more for pan
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 large red onions, peeled, halved and sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 8-12 small corn tortillas
- 1/2 head small green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1-2 large avocados, pitted, peeled and sliced
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the chili powder, oregano, ground cumin, salt and pepper. Add the chicken and onions to the bowl and toss to coat. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and brush with oil. Cook the chicken/onion mixture, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the onions are browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine the cabbage and cilantro. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and toss to coat. Toss in the lime juice and season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Place the tortillas on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for about 1 minute, or until warm and pliable.
- Place the cabbage slaw, chicken/onion mixture, avocados and tortillas on the table and allow everyone to fill tortillas and serve themselves!