So, I’ve had a popsicle maker sitting at the top of my basement stairs, unused, for longer than I’d like to admit. Each summer, I have every intention of making popsicles, but then I get so overwhelmed with fresh fruit, pies, and ice cream, that making popsicles doesn’t even cross my mind. Not once. So, when I had an abundance of freshly picked strawberries in my refrigerator that desperately needed to be used, I decided that this would be an excellent time to break out that popsicle mold.
I decided that I just wasn’t in the mood for a yogurt popsicle at the time, I needed something a little more robust. So, I decided that chocolate and strawberries would be an excellent combination. Because when are chocolate and strawberries ever not a good combination? I don’t know. You’ll have to tell me if you ever find that time. Actually no, never mind, don’t tell me because I don’t want to know. That could be catastrophic and world ending. Anyway, these are a simple sweet treat with minimal indulgence. It comes together quite easily, just a little chocolate melting, puréeing and you’re in business! The hardest part is waiting for the popsicles to freeze completely before enjoying. And also the fact that my popsicles kept bobbing up and down like buoys in the water, and sticking out sideways. My oldest daughter was quick to point out that my popsicle sticks were crooked. But that’s not what matters right? Let’s hope not. If you don’t want the sugar addition, just add some mild honey instead and then you can eat popsicles for breakfast! I definitely would, espeically on these hot hot summer days.
Chocolate Strawberry Popsicles
Chocolate and fresh strawberries come together to create a refreshing treat that adults and children will love. Cool off with these super simple popsicles.
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
- Place the chopped chocolate in a medium saucepan over low heat. Melt the chocolate, stirring constantly, until smooth and completely melted. Off the heat, stir in the cocoa powder and sugar. Whisk in the milk until smooth.
- In a blender or food processor, purée the strawberries until completely smooth. If you don't like seeds, pour the strawberry purée through a fine mesh sieve. Whisk the strawberry purée into the chocolate mixture until smooth. Pour into a popsicle mold, cover, fit with popsicle sticks and place in the freezer. Freeze until solid, several hours or overnight, before enjoying.
Concept adapted from Everyday Annie