So, yesterday, I totally had one of those panic realizations that Halloween is this month. How did I forget something like that!? This year has been going by so quickly, I can’t seem to keep up with the time! Before we know it, there will be snow on the ground! Although, I must admit, I am pretty excited to decorate our new place for Christmas. Yes, I am weird like that. I can’t help it, I love Christmas lights! So, about these cookies. Aren’t they just adorable? What is it about sprinkles that makes everything cuter? These sugar cookies are soft, chewy and just down-right delicious. The rainbow sprinkles could definitely be exchanged for some holiday themed sprinkles. Red, green and white for Christmas anyone?
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the egg and vanilla. Mix in the dry ingredients with the on low speed just until incorporated. Fold in the sprinkles with a spatula.
- Scoop the dough into balls, about 2 tablespoons each. Space them evenly on the baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake, rotating the pans halfway through the baking time, until the cookies are just set and the edges are barely browned, about 15-16 minutes. Let cool briefly on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.