These Fluffy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins are the perfect balance between sweet and tart. Super light and fluffy muffins that come together quickly in one bowl make for a perfect breakfast.
I realize that I already have a lemon poppyseed muffin recipe on the blog, but I thought it was time for a refresher. With these Fluffy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins, I decided to go less sweet with more lemon. Oh, and more fluffiness!
I decided to forgo the typical sweet glaze drizzled over the top, mainly because I really wanted the muffin itself to stand out. These muffins are super simple and fast to make, and only use one bowl! Well, that is if you don’t count whisking in a measuring cup.. Fluffy, light, full of lemon tang and poppyseeds, these are the perfect every day muffin!
What you’ll need to make the Fluffy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- all purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
- unsalted butter
Let’s make them!
Start with preheating your oven and greasing or lining muffin tins.
Next, grab a medium mixing bowl. Mix together the sugar and lemon zest with your fingertips until it’s nice and fragrant. This allows the oils to release from the zest to really boost the lemon flavor. Then, whisk in the remaining dry ingredients- flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and poppyseeds.
In a large liquid measuring cup, whisk together the melted butter, buttermilk, eggs, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir with a rubber spatula until no dry streaks remain.
Now, scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling about 3/4 of the way full. Pop in the oven and bake until springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean about 18 minutes.
See? Super duper simple. These take less than 10 minutes to throw together that result in a scrumptious, fabulous muffin you’ll want to eat all day long.
Notes & tidbits
Don’t have buttermilk? No worries. Simply whisk 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar in 1 cup of milk. Let sit for 10 minutes until the milk has thickened and soured.
- zest from 2 1/2 medium lemons
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup poppyseeds
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Grease or line 15 muffin wells. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar and lemon zest, rubbing with your fingers to release the lemon oils. Whisk in the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and poppyseeds.
- In large measuring cup, whisk together the melted butter, buttermilk, eggs, lemon juice and vanilla extract until combined. Pour into the dry ingredients, and stir with a rubber spatula until combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin wells, filling about 3/4 full. Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 18 minutes, or until springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for about 5 minutes before removing and serving.
Wrap any leftovers and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166
Nutritional information is only an estimate.