These Funfetti Cupcakes are bright and cheery. A light and fluffy cake topped with a sweetened cream cheese frosting, these are just fun and will make anyone’s day!
Can we talk about how cute these cupcakes are? What is it about sprinkles that makes everything that much cuter and prettier. I am in love. These funfetti cupcakes are not only beautiful, they are also light and fluffy with a killer frosting. A simple cream cheese frosting that only allows a hint of tang pillowed on top of tender cupcakes.
They come together fairly quickly and will make anyone smile when they eat it.
- eggs- it is important they are at room temperature
- unsalted butter
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract- not imitation flavor
- cake flour- all-purpose would do in a pinch, just know your cupcakes won’t be as light and fluffy
- baking powder
- buttermilk- needs to be at room temp!
- cream cheese- needs to be at room temp as well
- confectioners’ sugar
Let’s make Funfetti Cupcakes
First and foremost, your eggs, buttermilk and cream cheese need to be at room temperature! It is important, so plan ahead. Take your eggs out of the fridge and make or pour your buttermilk at least 30 minutes prior to baking time. Also, the butter needs to cool for a good 10 minutes after it has melted to ensure it doesn’t curdle the eggs.
Once your ingredients are at room temperature, whisk your egg whites until frothy in a stand mixer or by hand. It should only take a minute or two and look like the photo below.
Then, mix in the melted and cooled butter, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla extract. This mixture should look pale and smooth, it will take a few minutes. It should look like the picture below.
Next, sift your dry ingredients together. I never ever sift, but is important here!! Grab a fine mesh strainer and tap it through that if you don’t have a sifter. Mix half the dry ingredients into the wet, just until combined, then mix in the buttermilk, then the rest of the flour. Do. Not. Over mix. Only mix until the dry ingredients have just combined. Now comes the fun part. Sprinkles! Gently fold the sprinkles into the batter using a rubber spatula. This should take about 8-10 folds.
Line a muffin tin with choice liners, then scoop the batter into the tins, filling about 2/3 full. Pop in the oven and sit back and relax while they bake. It’s a short baking time, so don’t go too far! About 20 minutes later, take them out of the oven. Let them cool in the pan for a good 5 minutes, then place on a wire cooling rack to let cool completely.
But wait, the frosting!
The last, but most favorite step- frosting! Sift, sift, sift that confectioners’ sugar. Take it from someone who almost always skips this step due to pure laziness and always regrets it. You’ll have a lumpy frosting. Beat the butter and cream cheese together until nice and creamy. Then, mix in the vanilla extract and slowly add in the confectioners’ sugar. Mix on high speed for a few minutes to make it light and fluffy.
Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, scoop the frosting into a pastry bag fitted with choice tip and pipe that beautiful frosting onto the cupcakes. Sprinkle with sprinkles and eat!
Reasonably simple, completely fabulous. Put a smile on you or a loved ones face with these cuties.
Notes and tidbits
Don’t have buttermilk? No worries. Simply pour in 2 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar into a glass measuring cup. Pour in the milk, enough to make half cup. Stir once with a fork, and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
Other cupcake recipes you’ll love
For the cupcakes
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs, separated at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
For the frosting
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 6 ounces full-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line 12 cupcake wells with liners, set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until frothy, about 2-3 minutes on medium speed. With the mixer on low, mix in the melted butter, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla extract until pale and smooth, about 2-3 minutes on medium-high speed.
- Meanwhile, sift the dry ingredients into a separate bowl.
- With the mixer on low speed, mix in half the dry ingredients until combined. Mix in the buttermilk, then the remaining flour mixture. Mix just until no dry streaks remain.
- Pour the sprinkles over the batter and using a rubber spatula, gently fold in, about 8-10 folds.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cupcake liners. Place in the oven and bake for 20-23 minutes, just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, fit a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Sift the confectioner's sugar to ensure a smooth frosting. Beat together the butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy, about 3-4 minutes on medium-high speed. Reduce the speed to low and slowly pour in the confectioner's sugar and vanilla extract. Increase the speed and beat on medium-high speed for 4 minutes, or until fluffy and creamy. Smear or pipe directly on cooled cupcakes, scattering extra sprinkles over the frosting, if desired. Serve.
Store any leftovers well wrapped in the fridge up to 5 days.