Garlic Chicken Pita is a really simple meal that is incredibly satisfying. This recipe boats a super easy garlic chicken marinade and fresh vegetables. Not to mention the irresistibly creamy garlic herb dressing. This makes a scrumptious, filling lunch that you can make all week, or a light and simple dinner.
It’s getting to be that time when lighter, fresher meals are back on the menu! Spring is in full bloom here in coastal Maine, so fresh veggies are a must. This Garlic Chicken Pita is something I’ve been really excited to share with you. It’s fresh, satisfying, reasonably healthy and wonderfully filling. It’s rather simple too! Aaannddd, you can totally substitute your favorite vegetables in.
The chicken adds a layer of texture and makes it extra filling. The chicken sits in a simple marinade for a short while, then baked until tender and fabulous. While the chicken bakes, you can make the easy, but absolutely BEST creamy garlic and herb dressing. I like to drizzle a healthy amount of the dressing over the pita that has been filled with chicken and fresh vegetables.
You can totally make the components of the chicken pita ahead of time, and enjoy it all week! A simple lunch that you’ll be looking forward to all week. Or a light and easy dinner that won’t leave you hungry in a few hours.
Gather your ingredients for the Garlic Chicken Pita
- boneless chicken breasts or tenders
- granulated garlic
- garlic cloves
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- cayenne pepper
- salt + pepper
- fresh parsley
- your choice of fresh vegetables (lettuce, cucumbers, onion, bell peppers, etc.)
- homemade or store bought pita
Let’s make it!
Start with making the marinade for the chicken. Place the chicken in a baking dish. Then, whisk together the olive oil, juice from 1 lemon, granulated garlic, minced garlic cloves, salt + pepper. Pour over the chicken , turning to coat. Pop in the fridge for 30+ minutes. Preheat the oven while you wait.
Bake the chicken in the marinade for about 30 minutes, or until cooked through. Let cool completely before proceeding. Chop or shred into bite sized pieces.
While the chicken bakes, make the dressing. This garlic dressing is better the longer it sits! In a large glass jar or measuring cup, whisk together the mayo, buttermilk, cayenne, salt + pepper, chopped fresh parsley and crushed garlic cloves. Whisk or shake until completely mixed. If the dressing is too thick, whisk in a little more buttermilk. Or, if if the dressing is too runny, whisk in more mayo. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
Prep your pitas by slicing. Also, prep your vegetables by slicing into thin strips or small pieces.
To assemble the garlic chicken pita, fill the pita pockets with desired vegetables and chicken pieces. Drizzle with dressing and devour immediately!
Notes & tidbits
This garlic chicken pita is great for meal prep. Simply make everything over the weekend and store separately. Assemble right before eating. Or, assemble the pita in the morning before work and bring the dressing on the side. Drizzle the dressing over the pita right before eating.
For the chicken
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts or tenders
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice from 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or finely minced
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
For the dressing
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or finely minced
For the pita*
- sliced cucumbers
- shredded lettuce or spinach
- thinly sliced onion
- halved cherry tomatoes
- pita bread
- Place the chicken in a baking dish, making sure they don't overlap. In a glass measuring cup, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, granulated garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken, turning the chicken to coat. Place in the refrigerator and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place the chicken in the oven and bake until cooked through and the internal temperature reads 180ºF, 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Once the chicken has cooled, shred or cut into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- While the chicken cooks, make the dressing, In a large glass jar or measuring cup, whisk or shake all the dressing ingredients together until combined. Add more mayo if the dressing is too runny, or more buttermilk if the dressing is too thick. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Once the chicken has cooled, assemble the pita. Slice the pita bread in half and work open the pockets. Stuff the pockets with the vegetables and chicken slices. Drizzle with a generous amount of dressing eat immediately.
*Substitute any of your favorite vegetables. Bell peppers, swiss chard, mushrooms, celery, carrot sticks etc. would all be fantastic!
This makes a great lunch all week. Simply store ingredients separately and assemble right before consuming.