Chicken parmesan is something I have always loved, but don’t make very often. Like ever actually. Years ago, I used to make it all the time, but for some reason, it seems to have gotten unintentionally phased out. And then I pretty much forgot about it. Funny how that can happen. Forgotten, that is, until Tara shared a recipe of these sandwiches on social media some time ago. I saw the photo, swooned, then immediately put it on the next weeks menu. I couldn’t wait to make them.
Let me tell you, the sandwiches were everything I hoped they would be. I love it when that happens! They have perfectly breaded and seasoned chicken that is sandwiched between simple pizza dough rolls, with a slather of your favorite marinara sauce, and a healthy topping of mozzarella cheese. Then, to bring the epic sandwich over the top, melter butter and crushed garlic are brushed over the top and parsley sprinkled to finish. Now really, need I say more? These make an excellent lunch the following day, just warm it up in the oven! And, instead of marinara sauce, I once replaced it with roasted tomatoes from the garden- it was excellent. Try it out, mix it up!
Recipe adapted from Host the Toast
- 2 pounds pizza dough, homemade or store bought
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
- salt and black pepper
- 1 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce, plus more to serve
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- On a smooth surface, cut the pizza dough into 6 equal-sized pieces. Roll the dough into long, even ropes, about 18 inches long. Tie each rope in a figure-8 knot and transfer to the prepared baking sheet, gently pulling at the ends to create a longer, thinner knot. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- When ready, bake in the preheated oven until cooked through and just beginning to turn golden on top, about 20-22 minutes. Set aside to cool, but keep the oven on.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chicken. Season the chicken slices with salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl or pie plate, whisk together the egg and milk. Pour the breadcrumbs in another shallow bowl. And then, pour the flour in another shallow bowl. Dredge the chicken pieces, one at a time, through the flour, then the eggs, then the breadcrumbs, patting and turning to adhere. Then, set the chicken aside on a large plate. Continue until all of the chicken has been breaded.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken in batches and cook until the chicken is browned and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Carefully slice the baked bread knots in half, horizontally. Spoon marinara sauce on the bottom half of each bread knot. Then, place a chicken cutlet on top. Top the chicken cutlets with additional marinara. Place two slices of mozzarella cheese on each sandwich, and then sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Cover with the top bread knot halves and transfer back to the oven until warmed through and the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
- While the sandwiches bake, make the garlic oil. In a small, microwave safe bowl, combine the garlic and butter. Microwave until melted, about 45 seconds. Mix in the chopped parsley.
- Brush the sandwiches generously with the garlic oil mixture. Serve warm with additional marinara sauce for dipping.