This Herby Lemon Roasted Chicken is SO easy and healthy. Fresh lemon juice, garlic and herbs come together with shallots and tomatoes to create a incredibly juicy and tender baked chicken breast. This recipe is a divine, simple weeknight meat to serve alongside your favorite grain or salad.
Ohhh I love a good chicken dish, don’t you? Especially when it’s been seasoned with my favorite herbs- rosemary and parsley! And of course garlic. Garlic makes everything divine. This Herby Lemon Roasted Chicken is incredibly tender and juicy, thanks to being baked in lemon juice and olive oil.
This is the BEST healthy, weeknight meal right here. The simple herbs take front and center with the tender chicken, tomatoes and shallots. All it takes is a little chopping, searing and baking! SO easy. Seriously. I like to serve the leftover juices over the chicken for extra flavor. This would be fabulous served over rice or quinoa. You’ll want to eat this lemon chicken on repeat.
What you’ll need to make this delicious, healthy baked chicken
- lemon juice
- fresh parsley + rosemary
- garlic cloves
- olive oil
- chicken breasts
- cherry tomatoes
- salt + pepper
Let’s make the Herby Lemon Roasted Chicken
The process is pretty simple. Start with prepping your vegetables and whisking together the olive oil, herbs, garlic, lemon juice. Also, get the oven warming up.
In an ovenproof pan*, heat the oil. Salt and pepper the chicken then sear the chicken in the pan on both sides, just until golden. Sprinkle the tomatoes and shallots over the chicken, then pour the whisked olive oil mixture over everything.
Pop into the hot oven and bake until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Serve with the tomatoes, shallots and spoon the juice over the chicken. Done and done!
Notes & tidbits
If you do not have an oven proof skillet, place a roasting pan in the oven while preheating the oven. Once the chicken is done searing, place in the hot roasting pan, sprinkle with tomatoes, shallots and the sauce. Bake as directed.
Know that if you do not butterfly your chicken breasts, the baking time will be increased.
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 + 1 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 3 Tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 chicken breasts, butterflied and sprinkled with salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, rosemary, parsley, and garlic, set aside.
- In an ovenproof skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the skillet and sear on both sides, until golden, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and sprinkle the tomatoes and shallot over the chicken. Pour the lemon juice mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and reads 180ºF on an instant read thermometer. Remove from the oven and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 153
Nutritional information is only an estimate.