This month I have been so torn between sharing ice cream and strawberry recipes with you all. After July, it’s hard to find those beautiful berries locally and fresh. But, July is also national ice cream month. So I guess alternating between the two is the best way to go. That way we can celebrate seasonal dishes, but also enjoy the ice cold treats when they are needed the most! This year we picked 18 quarts of strawberries from a local farm that I have been determined to bake with more than I did last year. I still have a lot of leftover jam from last year (how does that happen!?), so I made only a small amount of jam with the strawberries, froze several quarts, and left several more in the fridge to bake with. At least that is my hope. Hopefully I can get to baking with them before they go past their prime!
So, these muffins. Sweetened only with honey and jam, they are not your usual sweet-tooth breakfast treat. Instead of sugar being the primary ingredient you taste, waves of honey the bees worked so hard to make, and sweet berries that have been kissed by the sun and picked at their peak, flow over your tastebuds. Non indulgent, and super easy to make. These are a great addition to your Sunday breakfast, or a brunch you may be hosting or attending.
Recipe adapted from Half Baked Harvest
Honey Strawberry Muffins
These muffins are super tender and moist and are perfect slathered with butter while still warm from the oven. Farm fresh strawberries are sweetened with local honey which leads to a wonderful summer muffin.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup good quality honey*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 1/2 cup good quality strawberry jam (bonus if it's homemade!)
- zest from 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease 18 muffin wells or line with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, honey, vanilla, milk, yogurt, and eggs until smooth. Whisk in the flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix just until combined.
- In a small bowl, stir together the diced strawberries, jam, and lemon zest. Gently fold the berries into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffins tins. Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the tins for 10 minutes before carefully removing and transferring to a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*If you have creamed honey like I do, melt it with the butter so it's nice and pourable.