These simple Orange Chocolate Chip Scones are tender, dotted with chocolate chips and bursting with orange flavor. These scones are easy to make and are the perfect breakfast treat.
Do you love citrus season? It always creeps up on me so quickly that I almost always forget about it! I am still busy wistfully remembering Christmas desserts. But then I remember all the fabulous treats that can be made with oranges, lemons, Meyer lemons and blood oranges! So excitement ensues.
Let’s talk about these Orange Chocolate Chip Scones. Tender on the inside with a slight crisp on the outside. Full of orange zest and juice as well as mini chocolate chips. I don’t know about you, but I adore the chocolate/orange combination. It is just divine! These scones are rather simple to make, no mixer needed. They come together in about 45 minutes total, and can be eaten straight from the oven. These would be great for breakfast or a midday snack!
What you’ll need to make the Orange Chocolate Chip Scones
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- mini chocolate chips
- unsalted butter
- fresh orange zest and juice
- one large egg
- vanilla extract
- milk for brushing the tops
How to make the scones
Start with preheating your oven and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
Next, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and zest. Then, cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry knife or two butter knives until the mixture is flaky and no large butter pieces remain. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Now, whisk together the buttermilk, orange juice, egg and vanilla extract in a large liquid measuring cup. Pour the wet into the dry and gently mix with a rubber spatula until the mixture is mostly combined.
Next, scrape the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead a few times until the dough comes together. Press or roll the dough out to a circle that is 1/2-inch thick. Cut the dough into 3 1/2-inch rounds and place on the prepared baking sheet. Press together any scrapes and roll out to 1/2-inch thick again. Cut into circles and repeat process until all the dough is gone.
Lastly, brush the tops of each scone with a little milk and place in the oven. Bake until the tops are just barely starting to turn golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few clinging crumbs. Remove from the orange chocolate chip scones from the oven and let cool a few minutes before consuming.
Notes & tidbits
Be careful not to overwork the dough, as it will make the scones tough.
These will last stored well wrapped, at room temperature for several days, or even longer in the refrigerator.
- 2 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest from 3 oranges
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into 12 peices
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- juice from 1 orange
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- milk for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and zest. Using a pastry blender or two butter knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture is crumbly and no large butter pieces remain. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- In a large liquid measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk, orange juice, egg and vanilla extract. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix just until barely combined. Scrape the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead a few times to bring the dough together.
- Press or roll the dough into a circle that is 1/2-inch thick. Cut the dough into 3 1/2-inch rounds and place on the prepared baking sheet. Press the dough scrapes together and repeat process.
- Brush the tops of the scones with milk and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the scones are just barely golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few clinging crumbs. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Store the scones, well wrapped, at room temperature for 3 days or 5 days in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 322
Nutritional information is only an estimate.