This Orzo with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Feta is a great combination of salty and savory. With bites of sweet roasted red peppers, savory sun-dried tomatoes and salty feta, this makes the ideal side dish for any meal or occasion.
This Orzo with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Feta is simply fabulous. And super simple! It’s just a matter of toasting orzo in a little butter until a lovely brown, then cooking it in wine and broth until its tender, which takes under 20 minutes. The orzo is tossed with roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, salty feta and fresh basil. See? So easy! And wonderfully fast. Plus, to make it extra easy, you can get the jarred stuff so you don’t have to roast the peppers yourself.
This dish is great for an easy quick lunch that you can eat all week. Or, it would be a great side dish to grilled chicken, or even some fish. It would also be a great dish to bring to a BBQ because it can be eaten cold. A little sweet, definitely salty and savory flavors in each bite. Simple and fabulous.
What you’ll need to make the Orzo with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Feta
- unsalted butter
- fresh basil
- feta cheese
- vegetable or chicken broth
- dry white wine
- roasted red peppers- grab a jar to make it easier!
- sun-dried tomatoes
- salt + pepper
Let’s make it!
Start with placing a medium to large pot over medium-high heat. Melt the butter in the pot, then stir in the orzo. Cook the orzo, stirring often, until most of the pieces are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the wine and cook for another minute. Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the orzo until it’s nice and tender and has absorbed all the broth, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, finely chop the sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers and basil. Once the orzo has cooked, remove from the heat and stir in the salt, pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, feta cheese and basil. Serve!
So simple, done in less than 30 minutes, and simply fabulous. Eat it warm, or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Notes & tidbits
To make this really easy, get the jarred tomatoes and peppers. But, if you’re determined, you can certainly roast your own peppers! Here is a great recipe on how to do that.
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups orzo
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, patted dry and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2-3 ounces feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Place a medium to large pot over medium-high heat. Melt the butter in the pot. Stir in the orzo, and cool until lightly golden brown, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the wine and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the orzo until tender and the broth is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the orzo from the heat and stir in the salt, pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and feta cheese. Lightly toss in the basil and serve.
This dish is great warm or cold.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362
Nutritional information is only an estimate.