(Photos updated September 5, 2015)
Let me tell you about these scones. They are heavenly. They are flaky, buttery, peach-perfect scones. Exactly the way they should be. I wasn’t satisfied with just eating one, I wanted to eat the whole pan! I just had to share their amazingness with my sister and brother in law. And, I am pretty sure that when my sister came up to use my internet and running water, that she totally took some. (They are in the process of building their house and they are living on site without any amenities right now.) These are perfect to have alongside your coffee in the morning, or as an afternoon snack.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, plus more for brushing
- 2-3 medium ripe peaches, sliced thin
For the cinnamon-sugar topping
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To make the dough, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk to blend. Add the butter to the bowl and cut the butter into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal and the largest butter pieces are the size of peas. Stir in the egg, vanilla, and buttermilk and mix gently with a fork until a dough forms. Knead briefly, about 10-15 times, until the dough has come together. Be careful to avoid over handling the dough, as it can result in tough scones.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line baking sheets with silpat or parchment paper. Turn the dough out onto a well floured work surface. (If the dough is too soft to shape, chill it for about 15 minutes before proceeding.) Roll the dough out into a 10 x 12-inch rectangle. Brush half of the dough lightly with buttermilk. Lay the peach slices in a single layer over the buttermilk side of the dough. Sprinkle evenly with about half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Carefully fold the other side of the dough over the peaches as if closing a book and press down gently. Slice the dough into 8-10 equal sized pieces. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets. Brush the top of each scone with buttermilk and sprinkle with additional cinnamon-sugar
- Bake until the tops are golden brown and the scones are baked through, about 15-18 minutes. Let cool 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool further. Serve warm.