This past weekend was my kid’s daycare/pre-school christmas party. It’s always a big thing every year where everyone makes food and all the families are welcome. So, of course I had to make something christmas themed. I immediately thought of these whoopie pies. They are my all-time favorite. I love love peppermint. I look forward to making these all year. They are a cake sandwich with a creamy, peppermint-y filling. All around delicious! These were definitely a huge hit at the party. I think I had two left which were easily grabbed when I offered to some friends on our way out the door. Only saving myself one at home, I was a little regretful the next day to not have another! These would make a wonderful addition to a holiday gift or party.
Recipe for the filling is adapted and cookies are from Lily’s Café Cookbook, Revised Edition by Kyra Alex
For the cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup hot water
For the filling
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 5-6 crushed candy canes
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease or line with parchment paper or silpat, two cookie sheets. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at at time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. In a large measuring cup, or small bowl, whisk the sour cream and hot water together.
- Add the dry ingredients in thirds to the butter mixture, alternating with the sour cream mixture and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix well until no streaks are visible.
- Drop by the tablespoonful onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing about 1 inch apart. Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until they are puffy and just set in the middle. Remove from oven and let cool completely before filling.
- For the filling, beat together the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Slowly add the confectioner's sugar and beat until smooth. Add the peppermint extract and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Stir in the crushed candy canes.
- To assemble the whoopie pies, pair up similar size cookies, and gently pipe or spread filling onto one side of each pair. Gently push the paired cookies together. Store in the refrigerator, allowing to come to room temperature before serving. These will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.