These Rhubarb Almond Muffins are tender with bursts of tart rhubarb and sweet almond flavor. A great flavor combination for a wonderful Spring breakfast.
These Rhubarb Almond Muffins are a great way to celebrate rhubarb, my favorite spring fruit. With it not quite being strawberry season here yet in Maine, I am trying to save my rhubarb for the best dessert combination. Alas, I can’t resist making some rhubarb desserts! Did you see the rhubarb apple crisp, or rhubarb sorbet? If you not, you should most definitely check them out.
These muffins are tender, and light with tart bites of fresh rhubarb. With a hint of almond and almond slivers scattered over the top, these make a great breakfast or snack. A fun way to enjoy rhubarb with just a few simple ingredients and a short amount of time.
What you’ll need
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- baking powder
- granulated sugar
- unsalted butter
- almond extract
- fresh rhubarb
- almond slivers
- coarse sugar- this is for the topping and it is optional
Make the rhubarb almond muffins
Start with preheating your oven and greasing your muffin pan. Next, whisk together all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a glass measuring cup or separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs, buttermilk and almond extract. Stir into the dry ingredients until combined. Gently fold in the rhubarb slices.
Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Sprinkle the tops with slivered almonds and coarse sugar, if using. Place in the oven and bake. They will be done around 20 minutes or so.
This process goes from start to eating in about 30 minutes. Super simple and your whole family will love them!
Notes & tidbits
You can definitely freeze these muffins. Bake as directed and allow them to cool completely. Store in a plastic freezer bag for several months, thawing and rewarming before consuming.
Other muffin recipes you’ll love
For the muffins
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups finely chopped rhubarb
For the topping
- coarse raw sugar
- slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease 16 muffin wells, or line with liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Whisk in the melted butter, eggs, and buttermilk, until combined and no dry streaks remain. Fold in the chopped rhubarb.
- Scoop the dough into the prepared muffin tin, filling about 3/4 full. Sprinkle coarse sugar and slivered almonds over the tops of the muffins.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few clinging crumbs. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve warm.
These are best the day they are eaten, but will last covered in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162
Nutritional information is only an estimate.