These mini Rhubarb Ginger Almond Galettes are bursting with tart rhubarb, sweet almond and zesty ginger. In an easy, flaky puff pastry crust, and just a handful of ingredients, this makes a fabulous summer dessert.
Oh my gosh, these galettes. I have been trying to break out of the classic strawberry rhubarb combination box. I love it as much as the next person, but I wanted to mix it up. These rhubarb ginger almond galettes definitely fit the bill!
The galettes are filled with fresh, tart rhubarb slices, pieces of chopped crystallized ginger for a spicy kick and both almond extract and almond slivers for a killer triple combination. Puff pastry makes for a really simple throw-together dessert that provides a flaky, melt in your mouth crust. You don’t have to worry about making a complicated pastry dough. This dessert comes together quickly and easily that will open your world to new rhubarb combination possibilities.
What you’ll need
- puff pastry
- crystallized ginger
- almond extract
- granulated sugar
- slivered almonds
- coarse sugar
Let’s make the Rhubarb Ginger Almond Galettes
To start this super simple process, preheat the oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the thawed puff pastry on a floured surface and roll out so it’s nice and thin. Cut into four equal rectangles.
In a mixing bowl, stir together the rhubarb, ginger, sugar, salt and almond extract. Scoop into the center of each rectangle. Then, fold the edges over the filling, just a little. You want the filling still exposed. Pinch the corners together. Brush the edges with milk then sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar and almond slivers.
Pop in the oven and bake until the pastry is golden brown and flaky and the rhubarb is nice and tender.
Remove from the oven and let cool before serving. Serve as is or with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Simple, fabulous and scrumptious.
Notes & tidbits
If you don’t have coarse sugar, that’s okay. Just sprinkle granulated sugar over the tops.
If you want smaller sized galettes, simply slice into 6 rectangles instead of 4 and reduce the filling to about 1/4 cup instead.
Other rhubarb desserts you’ll love
- 1 puff pastry, thawed
- 3 cups rhubarb, diced small
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped small
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- slivered almonds
- coarse sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
- Roll the puff pastry out on a floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into 4 equal sized rectangles and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the rhubarb, ginger, almond extract, sugar and salt until combined. Place a heaping 1/2 cup of the mixture on to the center of each puff pastry rectangle. Fold the edges over by about an inch or so, keeping the center exposed. Pinch the edges together then brush the edges with milk. Sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar and slivered almonds.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 35 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and flaky. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve as is, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 214
Nutritional information is only an estimate.