I know, I know. You are probably thinking, “seriously, a recipe for Rice Krispie treats?!”. I thought the same thing at first. But then, I realized, I had never made Rice Krispie treats with homemade marshmallows. Actually, to be totally honest, I think I’ve made Rice Krispie treats a total of one time in my life. And that was back when I was a teenager, with some friends, and we used fluff. Is fluff still a thing? It was a huge when I was a kid. I hated peanut butter growing up (my poor mother), so I had fluff and jelly sandwiches. So healthy. (Insert eye rolling emoji.)
Anyway, I definitely would recommend making this dessert. I am sure you probably have your favorite recipe (off the back of the box anyone?), but seriously, try this one too. It definitely is no “back of the box” recipe, I’ll tell you that. But, I insist that you make your own marshmallows first. They are so easy, I promise. And, if you have any left over, they’ll go perfectly with hot cocoa. It is worth it, because it brings plain ol’ Rice Krispie treats to a whole new level. Like, a level so high, that you want to simultaneously share with everyone and hoard them all for yourself. That good people. These are a treat I have a very hard time avoiding. “Maybe just one after lunch. Maybe just one for a mid-afternoon snack. Okay, last one for dessert…” Make these. Love them. Share them (maybe).
Recipe from Cookies & Cups
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 cups, plus 2 cups mini marshmallows, (homemade is SO much better)
- 6 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Line a 9x9 pan with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large pot over low heat, melt the butter. Once butter is melted stir in the 8 cups of mini marshmallows, stirring constantly until melted. Once the marshmallows are melted, immediately remove from the heat and stir in the Rice Krispies and salt until just coated. Then stir in the remaining 2 cups of mini marshmallows. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press in evenly with the back of a spatula.
- Let cool completely before removing bars in foil and cutting into squares. Serve, or store at room temperature in an air-tight container.
*This recipe doubles beautifully into a 9x13-inch pan.