If you’ve been a follower on my blog for a while, you’ll know that I love pasta. It’s one of our go-to meals if there is nothing else in the house. Sometimes we just have it simple with a little butter and parmesan cheese, but most of the time, I like to jazz it up and try something different. That is one of the greatest things about pasta, it’s very versatile. You can mix almost anything with pasta and it will still taste good. And, pasta can be eaten cold or warm! So many ideas and decisions to make!
This particular recipe may have to be moved up to my number one spot. (And that is saying a lot because I have a lot of pasta dishes that I love.) This dish is creamy with a touch of healthy, and perfectly salty thanks to feta cheese.
Can we talk about feta cheese for a minute? Growing up, I was not a fan. At all. Even until the last year or so, I still didn’t care for it. But, for some reason, after having feta cheese on this pasta, it was like a applause going on in my mouth. It was just right. I love salty, so how am I only now just liking it? Now, I can’t get enough of it. I seriously want to put it on everything. I probably would too, but sadly, my family does not share my love for it. Sigh.
Anyway. This pasta dish makes a great weeknight meal that is fairly healthy, very easy and will definitely excite your tastebuds. In fact, I wish I had put it on the menu again this week. My mouth is seriously watering just thinking about it.
- 12 oz. jar of roasted red peppers
- 16 oz. pasta
- 1 small bunch kale, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 oz. crumbled feta
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Place a stainer in the sink and add the chopped kale to the strainer. When the pasta is finished cooking, reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water, then drain the pasta in the strainer with the kale, so that the hot water wilts the kale. Return the pasta and the kale to the now empty pot.
- Meanwhile, drain and place the peppers on a cutting board. Coarsely chop the peppers and transfer to the bowl of a food processor or blender. Add in the olive oil, walnuts, salt, red pepper flakes, and garlic to the food processor. Process the mixture until completely smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Add the sauce to the pot with the pasta and kale and toss well to coat, stirring in a tablespoon of the reserved pasta water at a time as needed to adjust the consistency. Stir in the feta. Serve warm.