It’s amazing how quickly summer is passing by. I feel like I have been in a whirl wind. I feel so busy, but at the same time, I wonder what I am actually doing. Do you ever feel like that? I guess it’s maybe because cleaning/washing dishes, cooking, baby care, running errands, shuttling kids back and forth between day care and camp, and more cleaning seem to consume my entire day. Oh wait, we can’t forget about laundry! That is something that never stops. Well, maybe that and dishes. Especially since we don’t have a dishwasher right now. My two girls just had birthdays. Baby just turned one!! Ahh, where did the time go! She has been on the brink of walking for probably two months now, but doesn’t want to walk unless I am on the other end encouraging her. So cute. And my eldest just turned six. Say what?! Enough of my life, and on to these mouth-watering sandwiches. So, remember how I told you to make those hoagie rolls? Yeah, well now, you need to make these sandwiches. That is my request. It would be even better if you used your garden vegetables! Speaking of which, I went out to weed my garden this morning, and the deer had a field day last night. Bye bye broccoli! Needless to say I cursed them the entire time I was weeding. Darn deer. Ah, I digress.
This sandwich is pretty simple actually. I seasoned some zucchini and tomatoes, then roasted them until they were tender. Next, I slathered the bread with homemade hummus (my favorite kind), made a bed of spinach for the zucchini and tomatoes, then finished with a slice of cheddar and Monterey jack cheese. Fab-u-lous. And, these make killer leftovers the next day. These would be awesome to take on a picnic. Or to work. Any way you eat these, or any meal, you will love them!
Island Bakes Original
Roasted Zucchini and Tomato Sandwiches
Roast summer zucchini and garden tomatoes are perfect when stuffed into a sandwich with cheese and hummus. A satisfying and healthy sandwich that you can pack all week.
- 2-3 medium zucchini
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- garlic powder or granulated garlic
- rosemary, fresh or dried
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- hummus, store bought or homemade
- hoagie rolls, store bought, or homemade
- cheddar cheese and/or Monterey jack cheese
- Slice the zucchini about 1/4-inch thick. Place in a bowl with the 2 teaspoons salt and toss to coat. Let sit at room temperature for about 20-30 minutes to allow the salt to extract the excess moisture.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Remove the zucchini from the bowl and place on a paper towel or clean cloth. Press another paper towel over the zucchini to blot away moisture.
- Place the tomatoes and zucchini on a rimmed baking sheet. Lightly drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle granulated garlic, salt and pepper over each slice. Sprinkle rosemary over the tomatoes. Place in the preheated oven and roast for 20-30 minutes, or until softened, turning the zucchini half way through cooking. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- To assemble the sandwiches, slice rolls in half, length-wise. Spread hummus on both cut sides. Place a handful of spinach on bottom slice, layer on a few slices of tomatoes and zucchini, then top with cheese and remaining slice of bread. Serve immediately, or refrigerate for several hours. Store any unused tomatoes or zucchini in an air-tight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.