This Skillet Strawberry Peach Crisp is the ideal summer dessert. Simple, sweet and fabulous. Juicy summer peaches and vibrant sweet strawberries are layered under a simple oat and brown sugar topping and baked in a skillet to perfection. The ultimate mouthwatering summer dessert, perfect when served with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream or a drizzle of heavy cream.
Hello Summer fruit! The best way to celebrate the abundance of juicy fresh fruit is to a) eat them fresh, standing over your kitchen sink to allow the juices to drip down, or b) bake them into a fabulous dessert. Enter this Skillet Strawberry Peach Crisp.
This is all the summer bounty without any of the fuss. Just a few simple ingredients come together to really make the fresh peaches and strawberries shine. Light brown sugar instead of granulated brings a little underlying depth of warmth. Vanilla extract brings out the sweetness in the fruit. But really, the peaches and strawberries do all the hard work on their own by cooking down and becoming a sweet, succulent spoonful of pure summer.
The topping adds a little flair with its dash of cardamom to add one more depth of a flavor hint. Oats and brown sugar come together with a little butter to create a really simple crunchy topping. I went easy on the topping as I wanted it to play a side role instead of the leading character. The fruit is the main event here in this skillet strawberry peach crisp after all!
What you’ll need
- fresh peaches
- fresh strawberries
- light brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- cornstarch- to help thicken the juicy fruit a tad
- all-purpose flour
- ground cardamom
- unsalted butter
- rolled oats- not the quick cooking kind!
Let’s make the Skillet Strawberry Peach Crisp
Start with preheating your oven. Grab a 10-inch oven proof skillet and set aside. Don’t worry about greasing it.
Start with making the filling. Whisk together the rolled oats, brown sugar, salt, flour and cardamom. Cut the butter into the mixture with a pastry blender or two knives until there are no pieces of butter that are larger than a pea. Set in the fridge while you make the filling.
Place the peaches and strawberries in a large bowl or in the skillet and toss with the vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and cornstarch. Toss with the fruit, then spread the fruit out evenly in the skillet.
Then, sprinkle the topping over the fruit. Pop in the oven and bake until the fruit is juicy and bubbling and the oat topping is golden, only about 25 minutes.
Serve with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream or a lovely drizzle of chilled heavy cream. Devour immediately!
Notes & tidbits
I chose to leave my strawberries whole since they were extra ripe. If you think yours are still a little firm, slice them in half or chop into pieces. Same with the peaches.
For the topping
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, cold
For the filling
- 4 cups ripe peaches, cored and sliced
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Have ready a un-greased 10-inch skillet, or grease a 9x9-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oats, brown sugar, flour, salt and cardamom. Cut the butter into the mixture with a pastry blender or two knives until there are no pieces larger than a pea. Set in the fridge while you make the filling.
To make the filling, place the peaches and strawberries in the skillet or a medium sized bowl. Toss with the vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and cornstarch. Toss with the sugar mixture with the fruit, just until coated. Spread the fruit evenly in the skillet or baking dish. Sprinkle the oat topping over the fruit.
Place the skillet in the oven and bake until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is golden, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes before dishing into serving bowls and serving with a drizzle of heavy cream or a scoop of vanilla extract (optional).
Store any leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227
Nutritional information is only an estimate.