This Spicy Sesame Broccoli Corn Salad is wonderfully simple and full of summer produce. Sweet corn on the cob, fresh broccoli and red onions mixed with red pepper infused sesame oil and a simple garlic dressing. It’s great served cold or warm, which makes the perfect summer dish to bring to a gathering or to have for lunch all week.
Ah, I love a good summer salad. Especially one that can serve as an excellent side dish. This Spicy Sesame Broccoli Corn Salad definitely fits the ticket. It’s incredibly simple, only a little toasting of the vegetables involved, and results in an awesome dish that would be a great side dish to some grilled meat or fish, or a light lunch all week.
This broccoli salad definitely has a spicy kick, but you can dull that down a little bit by reducing the red pepper flakes. This dish boasts fresh corn off the cob, broccoli and red onion. With a simple dressing filled with sesame oil, olive oil, garlic and red wine vinegar, this makes for a great, simple summer dish.
Back when I worked at the local Lily’s Cafe in my hometown, Kyra used to serve the ever popular broccoli salad. People would purchase it by the pound they loved it so much. The dish never lasted long when it was available. It was really simple and straightforward, and incredibly popular! It has been one of my husband’s favorite dishes to bring on the boat for lunch or snack over the years.
As a food blogger, inspiration is key to creating new recipes. Wether it be from something I ate at a restaurant or seeing a particular vegetable or fruit that suddenly inspires a range of dishes or desserts. This recipe is inspired by that ever popular dish that was served so many years ago. I dressed mine up a little more, so to speak, and added a little more summer bounty and little more heat.
What you’ll need to make the Spicy Sesame Broccoli Corn Salad
- corn on the cob
- red onion
- sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- red pepper flakes
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- salt + pepper
Prep your vegetables by chopping into bite sized florets, dicing and cutting the kernels off the cob.
Start with heating a little oil in a large skillet. Stir in the broccoli and corn. Cook until the corn has toasted and the broccoli is slightly tender when poked with a pairing knife. Place the vegetables in a serving large bowl with the red onion. Set aside.
In the now empty skillet, warm the sesame oil until nearly smoking. Remove from the heat and sprinkle the red pepper flakes over the oil. Steep for about 10 minutes.
While the sesame oil and red pepper flakes are steeping, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour the dressing over the vegetables, then toss in the sesame oil and red pepper flakes. Toss everything well until all the vegetables are coated. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions.
This broccoli salad can be served cold or warm, depending on your preference.
Simple, fabulous and the ideal summer side.
Notes & tidbits
If you don’t particularly like spicy, reduce the red pepper flakes to 3/4 teaspoon instead of 1 1/2 teaspoons.
For the vegetables
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed or olive oil
- 2 medium heads broccoli, cut into bite sized florets
- 3 ears corn, shucked and kernels removed
- 1/2 medium red onion, peeled and diced
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (reduce if you prefer it more mild)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or pressed
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pace a large skillet over medium heat with the 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil. Heat until the oil is shimmering. Stir in the broccoli and corn. Cook until the corn is beginning to turn golden and the broccoli and barely tender when poked with a pairing knife, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from the pan and place in a large serving bowl with the red onion. Set aside.
- In the now empty skillet, warm the sesame oil until barely smoking. Turn off the heat and sprinkle the red pepper flakes over the sesame oil. Let steep for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour over the vegetables. Pour the sesame oil and red pepper flakes over the vegetables and toss until everything is coated. Sprinkle with scallions and sesame seeds. Serve warm or refrigerate until cold.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 439Fiber: 5g
Nutritional information is only an estimate.