This triple chocolate peppermint tart has been on my baking to-do list all month. Or more like, really want to make list. I’ve been a little over zealous with all my baking this month I think. Eggnog Macarons, Baked White Chocolate Peppermint Donuts, and this Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake to name a few.
It’s hard! I want to make it all immediately. But we can only eat so much sweet treats. I think that maybe I need to start planning ahead and making these treats before December. But that seems to take away from the magic of Christmas baking. At least it does for me. I look forward to baking all the peppermint treats I can all December. Maybe I am a little too rigid.
Anyway, I want to talk about this triple chocolate peppermint tart. This is one of the best tarts I think I have eaten in a long time. It is incredibly creamy. So creamy that you just want to savor every single bite. Seriously. The tart has just a hint of peppermint, not so much that it overpowers the chocolate. This tart is topped with a creamy, white chocolate frosting and sprinkles of crushed peppermint candies and peppermint bark. Oh, and we can’t forget about the chocolate graham cracker crust! Perfection, seriously.
his is actually quite easy to throw together. It’s just a matter of blending up the graham crackers with some butter and pressing into a tart pan. After that bakes and cools, you simmer some heavy creamy and pour over chopped chocolate. A little peppermint extract is whisked in to the creamy chocolate and it’s all poured into the the crust. The hardest part of all of this is, waiting for the tart to refrigerate to allow the chocolate to harden! A little creamy, white chocolate frosting is piped on the top for the finishing touches. The frosting is optional, but I think it’s definitely necessary. This would make an excellent holiday dessert for you and your family. Or a crowd-pleaser dessert for any holiday party you might still have to attend.
⟶ To melt the white chocolate, either place in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring each time until creamy and melted. Or, place chopped white chocolate in a small bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water, stir constantly until melted.
⟶ You can refrigerate the filled tart overnight before topping with the white chocolate frosting.
⟶ The tart will last, well wrapped in the refrigerator, for several days. So you can make this in advance if need be.
Recipe adapted from Bake From Scratch Magazine, December 2019
For the crust
- 11 sheets chocolate graham crackers
- 6 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the filling
- 10 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
For the white chocolate frosting
- 3 ounces full-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ounces white chocolate, melted
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- crushed peppermint candies or candy canes
- peppermint bark (I used Ghirardelli)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 13x4-inch tart pan.
- To make the crust, place the chocolate graham crackers in the bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth. Drizzle in the melted chocolate and vanilla extract, and pulse the mixture until the mixture holds together when pinched together with your fingers.
- Press the mixture evenly into the prepared tart pan, going up the sides. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Place on a wire rack to let cool completely.
- To make the filling, place the chopped chocolate and salt in a heat proof bowl. Bring the heavy cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once simmering, pour over the chopped chocolate. Let sit for 5 minutes. Whisk the chocolate until smooth and completely melted, then mix in the peppermint extract. Carefully pour the chocolate mixture into the crust, it will be very full, so go slowly. If necessary, smooth out the top. Place in the refrigerator until set, at least 4 hours.
- To make the frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed until smooth. Decrease the speed to low and mix in the melted white chocolate and mix for 30 seconds. Slowly mix in the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract. Increase the speed to medium-high speed and beat until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Fit a piping bag with a decorative tip and fill the bag with the frosting. Once the tart has sufficiently chilled, pipe the frosting around the tart. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies and peppermint bark, if desired. Serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 648
Nutritional information is only an estimate.