I always have loved a tasty hearty bread that incorporates fruit. It is great to warm up with a little butter alongside a cup of coffee. Or for any time during the day! This particular bread is a favorite of mine. It tastes awesome when slathered with cinnamon honey butter. Fruit breads are a great alternative to muffins. It changes things up!
This bread I have made with all apples or a combination of apples and pears. Either way it is great. It is moist with the subtle hints of spices. A slice or two in the morning is a great way to start the day!
Recipe adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup chopped apples, peeled
- 1 cup chopped pears, peeled
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease an 8x4 loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the eggs and beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add in oil, applesauce, and vanilla and mix until smooth. Next, add the sugar and mix until well combined.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until flour is barely combined. Gently fold in the apple and pear chunks. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the batter in the loaf pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until loaf is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes. Loosen sides and remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.