(Photo updated July 2015)
I am still having a hard time believing that summer is coming to an end. The nights are getting cooler, but the days are still shorts and t-shirt weather. Such a tease. I had to turn my heater on yesterday morning because the kids were hopping around yelling brrr! My daughter is squeezing in as much dress wearing as possible before the long sleeve shirts and pants have to be brought out. I will say she is a little more brave than I am! I end up putting on then taking off a sweatshirt several times a day to adjust to the fluctuating temperatures.
I thought I would share one last summer-ish salad while the weather is still warm. I made this for the first time earlier this summer for someone and there was a little extra, so I saved it for my husband. Of course he exclaimed, “Why don’t you ever make this for me!?”. So, by his request, I made some just for him. Needless to say, he was very excited.
This salad can be eaten as is, or in a sandwich. It’s wonderful both ways. This is a very simple salad to throw together, and everyone will be begging for more!
Recipe adapted from Lily’s Café Cookbook Revised Edition by Kyra Alex
This chicken salad is everything you could want. Tender chicken tossed in creamy, seasoned mayo with crisp apples and celery. This makes a fabulous sandwich you'll want all the time.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 Tablespoons rosemary, dried or fresh
For the salad
- 1 large tart apple (Granny Smith is what I used), peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup mayonnaise
- For the chicken: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place the chicken breasts in a large glass baking dish side by side. Drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle the salt, pepper and rosemary over the chicken. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until cooked through and the internal temperature reads 180ºF. Set aside until cool. Chop into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl.
- To prepare the salad, place the chopped apple and celery in the bowl with the chicken. Mix until combined. Stir in a 1/4 cup mayo. If the salad doesn't look moist enough and everything isn't well coated, then add the rest of the mayo. Season with the salt and pepper, or to taste. Refrigerate immediately or serve.
Our friends in Belfast loved the turnovers!We checked with Boyce’s and our friends will be getting there on September 16th. Hope this works! I know your email is trashcan but I can’t find where I put it!
It was so great to see all of the clan last weekend. We love you guys. xox Lisa