I can’t believe Thanksgiving is tomorrow! I am sure all of you are scrambling in getting everything ready for the big day, whether you are hosting or bringing a dish. I don’t dare bake today since we are experiencing a big rain/wind storm. The power keeps flickering, so I am expecting it to go out anytime. I wanted to share this absolutely amazing pie with you today. My little family celebrated our Thanksgiving this past weekend and this is the dessert my husband requested. He kept on saying how it was the best pie he’s ever had every time he took a bite. I am pretty sure that he ate the majority of the pie. This pie is really simple and will knock the socks off your guests! I would definitely recommend making it. The greatest part is you can make it the day before! I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Recipe barely adapted from Joy of Baking
For the Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the Pie
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, broken into chunks
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the crust, grease a 9 inch pie plate or tart plan and set aside. In a medium bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter with a fork until all the the crumbs are moistened. Press the mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie plate. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill until ready to use.
- For the pie, in a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt. In a medium bowl, beat the milk and egg yolks until smooth. Gradually stir the eggs into the sugar mixture. Stir constantly over medium heat until the mixture thickens and comes to a full boil. Boil and constantly stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, chocolate and vanilla extract. Stir until melted and thoroughly combined. Pour into the prepared pie dish. Place plastic wrap over the filling to prevent a skin from forming. Place in the refrigerator and chill for several hours before serving. Top with lightly sweetened whipped cream.